Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day

Earth Day is not widely known or recognized in rural Thailand (at least in the Isaan area), but the students seemed to embrace the concept…we’ll see what follow up happens. In the library I read a flannel story of a simplified version of Curious George Plants a Tree. We then had a discussion what they could do to help the earth on Earth Day (and any other day). They had great ideas including unplugging chargers, using cloth bags at the market, picking up trash, planting a tree, turning water off, and recycling milk cartons. I added turn off the TV! I asked them all to do one thing on Earth Day and come tell me about it in the next week. I’ll let you know the results. It is summer vacation here and silly me, I thought that would mean more kids at story time, but alas, our average is down to about 6 to 7 compared to 12 to 15. That was Saturday. On Sunday, Bobby (fellow PCV) and I made drinking glasses from beer bottles (I mostly watched). There’s a bar in the states that does this on a regular basis, as replacing broken glasses gets expensive. Facebook gives more details. One of our PCVs, Christine, is doing an Earth Day project for her 50th Anniversary project. She asked every PCV to do something and let her know. The results will be displayed in Bangkok in July. Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment